Treadmill machines are designed to simulate the experience of walking and running outside.
It is often said that running on a treadmill is not the same as running outside because when you run on a treadmill, there is no wind resistance to counter, the belt is moving under you so it is easier to run. On the other hand, you have to push through the resulting resistance as your legs propel you forward.
Factually, the scientist has proven that when the treadmill is set to a 1% grade, it gives the same result as running outside because the impact of the belt moving underneath and lack of wind resistance is counterbalanced.
ADVANTAGES OF RUNNING ON A TREADMILL OVER RUNNING OUTSIDE
Let’s identify the advantages of running on a treadmill over running outside though undeniably very few
- Weather and Terrain situation
The effect of weather and terrain on runners varies. What is good for one may not be good for another. Some people can run on the muddy ground while others can run under the rain, some can run on rocks while others can run when it is hurt. When it gets to the point that you cannot take a jog outside, do not be afraid to do same on a treadmill.
- Environment: If you like consistency in your exercise routine I think you should go for the treadmill because once you are on the treadmill there are little or no external factor that can interfere with your work out
- Variety: Most treadmills have different profiles that you choose from depending on your desire. Treadmills vary from feature-filled to quite bland. To avoid boredom when working out, you may want to only consider treadmills with features that allow for varying exercises that are sure to keep you interested.
- Heart Rate: Most treadmills come with built-in heart-rate monitors for convenience; Some treadmill workout programs aim to help you achieve a great and healthy heart rate without putting your health at risk.
By tracking heart rate during workouts, you can better assess your effort on the treadmill. You will be able to know the basic effort you have put in so far and if you need to put in more.
Furthermore, you can determine your pace when using the treadmill. Just listen to your body and consider all the available data points to keep your pace on target.
- Safety: For an environment like ours where crime is ever increasing, the likely of being robbed in a gym is minimal compared to when you are on the road. Phones and gadgets have reportedly been stolen when going for a run.
Next time you are opportune to use a treadmill don’t feel like you are wasting your time and energy. Running on a treadmill is just as great as running outside.