This elegant, simple variation on fruit salad makes a refreshing first course, but could also be dessert, depending on the menu. A sprinkling of sugar and a splash of Prosecco elevates fresh fruit in a surprising way. In winter or early spring, make it with all kinds of colorful citrus— especially blood orange and pink grapefruit. In summer, use the same method with stone fruits and berries, like peaches and blackberries.
- 1 large pink or ruby grapefruit
- 1 large white grapefruit
- 4 blood oranges
- 4 navel oranges
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 2 Meyer lemons
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Blanched almonds, for garnish
- With a serrated knife, peel all the fruit, removing both skin and pith.
- Slice all the fruit crosswise about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange slices in shallow bowls, making sure each serving has all colors. Add a few blanched almonds to garnish. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- At the table, pour about 2 tablespoons of prosecco over each bowl.