Have you ever thought of making the pizza yourself? Nothing beats a proper home- made pizza. We decided to share the recipe for a proper home-made pizza
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2-pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Press each into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Combine the tomato sauce, Pepperoni, Olives, and basil; spread over each crust. Top with beef mixture, green pepper, and cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Yield: 2 pizzas (3 servings each).
Originally published as Homemade Pizza in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p19
Culled from www.tasteofhome.com